Wednesday, April 7, 2010

40th anniversary proves time flies when you're having fun

It occurred to me as I was flying home from Florida: Friday will mark the 40th anniversary of the first Opening Day I covered in Detroit. 

Mickey Lolich was on the mound that April 14 afternoon in 1970 as the Tigers trounced the Cleveland Indians, 12-4. Lolich, as usual, went all the way, despite giving up a dozen hits. What are the chances of that happening on Friday?

A throng of 46,891 showed up at Tiger Stadium that afternoon. First baseman Norm Cash, who got three hits and scored three runs, is dead. So is the Tigers' 1970 manager, Mayo Smith, who sometimes called me "Dan (Bleeping) Diamond." But that's a story for another day. Shortstop Cesar Gutierrez went 0-for-4. If I remember correctly, Gutierrez still owes me $270 from a subsequent series of gin games. If you run into him, try to collect my money for me, will you?

Al Kaline, of course, played right field. Jim Northrup was in center. And Willie Horton played left. Bill Freehan was the catcher, Dick McAuliffe led off and played second, and Don Wert played third.

Jim Leyland was in the twilight of a mediocre career as a minor league catcher, doubling as a coach at Double-A Montgomery in an effort to get his foot in the managerial door.

None of the current Tigers had been born, of course. Dave Dombrowski was 13 years old. The newspaper beat writers and columnists have all changed -- more than in name only, I might add. Guys like Joe Falls and Pete Waldmeir were press box giants when I broke in.The radio and TV broadcasters have changed, too. Ray Lane was teamed with Ernie Harwell in 1970 and Larry Osterman complemented George Kell.

On the airplane coming home from Florida this week, I was leafing through a new tribute book to Kaline, entitled "6," which has been published by the Tigers and is packed with photos, many from Al's personal collection,  when I came across a picture of the Tigers, lined up along the top step of the dugout on "Al Kaline Day" on Aug. 2, 1970.

I did a double-take when I recognized the young guy in street clothes standing alongside the players at the far end of the dugout.

It's on page 165 if you'd care to took it up. I can't believe I was ever that young.

Time flies when you're having fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Jim, Nice blog. Time surely flies! Thanks for all of your coverage throughout the years. Joe Falls was a great friend of my grandpa's, Dick Morgan. Dick ran Morgan's Service in Clarkston. He opened it when he was 16 in 1932! Keep on writing!

April 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, You have been one of the best Tigers writers for all those years!
I have followed the team since '54 when I went to Briggs Stadium with my dad and watched the skinny kid in the outfield throw "Accurate Rockets" to the infield bases and homeplate.
I look forward to purchasing the book you wrote on AL Kaline this week.
I have waited years for a book like that on Kaline. Many Thanks, and continued writing on our Tigers with Good Health to you.
Ron V. Lifetime Tigers Fan

April 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home