Thursday, October 1, 2009

No controversy in my vote for MVP this year -- Guess who?

        Two years ago, I ignited a firestorm of controversy when I put American League batting champion Magglio Ordonez at the top of my ballot for Most Valuable Player.
        Tom Gage of the Detroit News and I were the only baseball writers in the country to vote for Ordonez ahead of the Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez. We both placed A-Rod second.
        I received a ton of criticism and phone calls, much it from New York. But there was no doubt in my mind --  then, or now -- that mine as the correct vote.  It wasn’t my fault that  was the other members of the electorate didn’t see Ordonez play often enough to appreciate how much Magglio meant to the Tigers in 2007.
        This year, I have again been chosen to help pick the AL MVP. (Last year, I voted        for the Cy Young Award.)
        I am under strict orders from the Baseball Writers Association of America not to reveal my vote. But I’ll give you a hint: My top choice played at Comerica Park this week. And, no, I didn’t vote for Ordonez again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

you voted for ramon santiago, didn't you ;)

October 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strikeout king Brandon Inge right?

October 3, 2009 at 6:41 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home