Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Everett doesn't take postseason for granted anymore

        In 2004, Adam Everett went to the playoffs with the Houston Astros after his first full season in the big leagues. The following year, Everett and the Astros went all the way to the World Series.
        “When you get to the postseason two years in a row, you start thinking you’re going to be there the rest of your career,” the Tigers shortstop recalled.
        But Everett hasn’t been back to the playoffs since.
        “Now I know, when you get the chance, you’ve got to really embrace it,” he admitted. “Because, who knows, you may never get back there again.”
        That is the message that Everett has been trying to impart to his Tiger teammates this week as they battle the Minnesota Twins for the right to represent the American League Central in the postseason.
        “The biggest thing for me now is just going out there and enjoying the moment,” Everett said. “I’m just trying to have fun,
        “I don’t think I did that in 2004-05. I don’t feel I really embraced it. I think I was too tense. I put too much pressure on myself, trying to do too much.”
        Now all Everett wants is another chance to grab the brass ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home