Wednesday, September 16, 2009

$18 Million Man Ordonez: "I'll celebrate when we clinch"

        Magglio Ordonez went hitless in three trips to the plate Tuesday night. But that was enough to guarantee he will be back with the Tigers, making $18 million again next year.
        However, Ordonez resisted the temptation to celebrate.
        “We lost the game,”  he said Wednesday. “I’ll celebrate when we clinch the division.”
        When, and if, the Tigers do win the American League Central, Ordonez will be able to take pride in the fact that, after a miserable start, he has played a significant role in helping to keep the Tigers in first place.
        His home run and RBI production (seven HRs, 40 RBI) has dropped off dramatically, but since August 1 Ordonez has batted .391 in 35 games, lifting his once anemic average to .294. Since the All-Star break, his slugging percentage has been .510, compared to .494 for all of last year.
        “Am I happy with my season? No,” Ordonez admitted. “But I’m happy we’re in first place.”
        Ordonez is also happy to have all of the uncertainly over his future behind him.
        “It’s always nice when you know where you’re going to play next year,” he said. “I’m happy to be back here next year.”
        There’s also a good chance Ordonez will hit above .300 this season for the third year in a row and the fourth time in his five seasons as a Tiger.
        That may come as a surprise to some people, but not to Magglio.
        “I’ve been hitting all my life,” he said. “I had .312 average coming into this season after nearly 6,000 at-bats.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home