Friday, June 19, 2009

Willis' return to DL raises more eyebrows

        Dontrelle Willis says he believes his woes are mechanical. The Tigers believe Dontrelle’s control can be improved with medication.
        Willis says he doesn’t feel nervous during games. The Tigers say Dontrelle  is once again suffering from anxiety disorder.
        I am not doctor. But I do wonder what is going on.
        In the clubhouse, Willis is the life of the party, laughing and clowning around with his teammates. On the field, he is as animated and enthusiastic as any Tiger pitcher since the late Mark Fidrych.
        Kevin Rand, the Tigers head athletic trainer, told reporters this week that Willis’ mechanical problems and his anxiety are “intertwined.”
        “It’s a very complex issue,” Rand explained.  “It’s a situation where he has to get out in front of the crowds and put in all together. We feel he’s made some progress. But there’s still a lot of work to be done.”
        I have come to like Willis over the past two years. I believe he is a good guy who genuinely wants to win.
        “I feel great,” Willis insisted when he met with reporters to discuss his return to the disabled list. “But I had a bad outing and we’re in a race, so you have to get someone who can do the job. We have to win. That’s the bottom line.
        “I have so many moving parts. I feel its mechanical. I’m not a conventional guy, never have been. But I’ll get myself right and hopefully the third time is a charm.”
       
       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home