Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who keeps leaking 'secret' steroid test results?

     First, it was Alex Rodriguez who was unmasked. Now it's Sammy Sosa who has been outed. Two down, 102 to go. Drip, drip, drip. Who's next?
     To me, the more pertinent question is: Who keeps leaking these names, one by one, of players who tested positive for steroids in that supposedly top-secret 2003 test?
     And why? To what end?
     From what I have been able to find out, the leaks could only be coming from one of two sources: A lawyer who is presently or was previously on the staff of the U.S. Attorney's Office, or someone who works or worked in the baseball players' union -- which, by the way, promised its members anonymity and should have protected that promise by destroying the test results back in 2003.
     When the tests were conducted, strictly to determine the extent of the problem -- not, they said, to identify users --1,438 players were tested. Of those, 1,334 players passed with flying colors. Only 104 players tested positive. It is important to remember that.
     The names of the guilty 104 were supposedly only made available to one representative of the players' union and to one representative of Major League Baseball. Commissioner Bud Selig swears he never saw the list and has no idea whose names are on it. I believe him.
     However, there is no way of knowing how many people in the U.S. Attorney's Office, that went to court to obtain the results as part of its investigation into Victor Conte and his Bay Area Laboratories Co-Operative, have laid hands or eyes on the list since then.
     What is their agenda?
     Baseball, to its credit, has cracked down on the use of performance enhancing drugs. It has cleaned up the sport.
     But those 104 names, now down to 102, keep trickling out, branding the guilty along with all of the unidentified innocent.
   

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Kuehn said...

104 amounts to about 9 percent. That leaves only 91 percent eligible for the Hall of Fame in my book

June 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe strongly that drug enhanced athletes should not be admitted into any hall of fame. They should create a special hall of shame to put them in. They are cheaters and their records should be eliminated, also put in the hall of shame. I enjoy the history of the game as much as the games played daily. Studying the records and progression of the game is a great pastime diminished by all this cheating. Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and the many others have been robbed.

June 19, 2009 at 6:56 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home