Monday, May 4, 2009

Leyland on Verlander: "The sky's the limit"

        Everyone noticed the difference in Justin Verlander on Sunday when he struck out 11 Indians and allowed only two hits. That was obvious. But Jim Leyland believes he can see the difference on the days between Verlander’s starts, too.
        “We won’t agree on this  because we don’t agree on anything,” the Tigers manager said Monday, “but his concentration is better between starts this year than it was last year.”
        Leyland said Verlander is more focused now on doing the things he needs to do between starts, instead of taking his success for granted.
        “With pitchers, I believe you get into a rhythm, not only the times you pitch but between starts, too,” Leyland explained.
        “He’s so good, I think he’d just think, ‘Okay, it’s my day to throw. I’ll throw today and I’ll be okay.’ This year I think he’s more focused on working on  stuff.
        “He’s bull-headed, and I’m bull-headed,” Leyland said. “There’s nothing wrong with that. Some married people are bull-headed, too, and they still love each other.
        “I don’t love the guy but I love having him on my team. He has the best overall stuff of any pitcher I’ve ever managed.  He’s one of the best players I’ve ever had. The sky’s the limit for this guy.
        “But when you have instant success, like he did, you think you’re bullet-proof.
He’ll have success now for a long time because he’s figured it out. He’s getting it. When he gets it going, when he gets in that groove, it’s tough for anybody to hit him.
        “But,” Leyland cautioned, “if he takes it for granted, he’ll take another step back.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home