Saturday, July 18, 2009

Freak injuries continue to haunt Zumaya

        Something is obviously wrong with Joel Zumaya. Again.
        Although he can still overpower hitters, at times, with his triple-digit fastball, Zumaya continues to struggle with his control and has not looked at all like his old self lately.
        Friday night in New York, after serving up a game-deciding three-run homer to the Yankees’ Mark Teixeira, Zumaya told reporters he “felt a slight pop in my shoulder.
        “I’m feeling a lot of pain in my shoulder,” the popular right hander with the rock star persona admitted. “Obviously, my arm is not feeling too good right now. I can’t even lift up my arm.”
        Zumaya had his shoulder X-rayed at Yankee Stadium after the game and planned to return to Detroit on Saturday for an MRI.
        Zumaya told reporters he felt the “pop” while throwing a breaking ball. Although he remained on the mound and completed the seventh inning, Zumaya said he didn’t know “how I threw my last three pitches.”
        It was just the latest in the sad series of freak accidents and injuries that have haunted Zumaya for the past three years. Following the 2007 season, he underwent reconstructive shoulder surgery after a box of World Series souvenirs that he was moving fell on his shoulder.
        There are fears Friday night’s pain may be in the same location.
        “My mind is going in circles, I don’t know what to think, I don’t know what it is,” Zumaya told reporters  before leaving the ballpark. “We’re trying to keep our heads high. Hopefully, it’s just a little, little thing, and not a big thing.”
        In his last nine appearances, Zumaya has blown four saves, losing two of those games. In 14 save situations this season, he has posted an alarming 9.64 ERA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home