Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tigers release Sheffield, eat $14 million contract

        In a move that caught just about everyone in the Marchant Stadium clubhouse by surprise, the Tigers released 40-year-old future Hall of Famer Gary Sheffield early Tuesday morning, one home run shy of the magical number of 500.
        “I wouldn’t say I’m shocked but I am surprised,” admitted Sheffield, who was clearly angered by the unexpected decision. “To do this when somebody is  one home run away . . . I don’t know how to react to it.
        “Jim (Leyland) said, ‘We’re going to go with versatility.’ When he said that word I thought to myself, ‘I’m probably the most athletic guy on this team.’      
        “But they’re entitled to their opinion,” Sheffield added.      
        Tuesday’s move means home run threat Marcus Thames, who was worried about his own future with the team this spring, will be the Tigers’  primary designated hitter, although Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday that Leyland also plans to occasionally use Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen in that role.
        “We think this makes us a better ballclub at this point,” Dombrowski declared. “This give us most versatility in how we use the DH.
        “It was going to be hard to keep Marcus Thames and Gary Sheffield together. We’ve been trying to get Marcus more opportunities. This will allow us to do that. We think Marcus can be a very productive hitter for us.”
        Tuesday’s decision means the Tigers will have to eat the $14 million remaining on Sheffield’s contract this season.
        “We were going to have to pay him one way or another,” Dombrowski rationalized. “We were paying him no matter what.”
         It is the largest  contract that Tigers have had to swallow since they released infielder Damion Easley with $14.3 remaining on his contract near the end of spring training in 2003. 
        Sheffield had been healthy and happy all spring. But he was hitting only .178.
        “I think (Gary) would have hit well enough,” Dombrowski said. “But I can’t tell you what his numbers would have been versus Marcus Thames.”
        Sheffield said he hopes to catch on with another club and continue his career, which was entering its 22nd year.
        “I know I can still play this game,” he said.  “If somebody wants me, I’d be happy to look at that. If not, I’ll stay home and play with my kids.
        “I wanted to play until I was 40 and I have accomplished that,” Sheffield added.
        Once Sheffield clears waivers, he will be a free agent. He could sign with another team for as little as the major league minimum $400,000 salary. The Tigers would be on the hook for the balance.
        In Sheffield’s two injury-marred seasons with the Tigers, after he was acquired from the New York Yankees in a November 2006 trade, he batted .247 with 44 homers and 132 RBI in 247 games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home