Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's hard to feel sorry for Denny McLain

        Believe it or not, once upon a time, I actually felt sorry for Denny McLain.
        In my eyes -- and I have known the man since 1970 -- he was always more rascal than outlaw, more rogue than crook.
        I laughed when he dumped a bucket of water on my head in 1970 because he was starved for attention.
        He laughed when I lampooned him at a charity roast last fall.
        We have never been buddy-buddy, but we have never been enemies either.
        I dare say a harsh word has never passed between us.
        He wrote to me when he was in prison.
        I paid him to sign autographs at some of my baseball card shows.
        Of course, I have never lost any money in any of his many schemes.
        Others have not been nearly so fortunate.
        One of McLain’s former Tiger teammates, who shall remain nameless, calls him “a sociopath.”
I looked it up. That means: “A person who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.”
        Another turns his head at the mere mention of McLain’s name.
        In their eyes he is more parish than prodigal son.
        Now the 64-year-old McLain, the man who once won 31 games, appeared on the “Ed Sullivan Show,” and entertained nightclub audiences in Las Vegas, is in trouble again.
         He reportedly owes creditors more than $60,000, is free on bail following yet another arrest, and has had sports memorabilia and electronics equipment seized from his home.
        He is truly a tragic figure.
        This summer, the Tigers will celebrate the 40th anniversary of their 1968 world championship. McLain, with his 31 wins, was the face of that team.
        Now I wonder if the Tigers, and Denny’s former teammates, will even want him on the stage.
       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home