Thursday, February 28, 2008

Steroids probe has baseball scared

        The Mitchell Report and the subsequent Congressional hearings involving would-be Hall of Famer Roger Clemens, fitness trainer Brian McNamee, and pitcher Andy Pettitte has struck fear in the heart of Major League Baseball.
        Everybody is looking over their shoulders.
        If players of the stature of Clemens and Barry Bonds can be publicly pilloried, no one is immune.
        On my second day in training camp, I was temporarily denied access to the Tigers’ Marchant Stadium clubhouse.
        “I don’t know if the media is allowed in,” clubhouse manager Jim Schmakel said. “Give me a minute and let me check. Everything has changed in baseball. I don’t want to get into trouble.”
        When Magglio Ordonez went to the bench during batting practice to get a blister on his hand taped, two photographers rushed to focus on the utterly routine procedure.
        “Can I get your name?” one of the photographers asked Tigers’ assistant trainer Doug Teter when he finished taping.    
        “No,” Teter replied. “I don’t need my name in the paper.”
        As a group, baseball trainers are concerned that their profession is being tainted by the conduct of personal trainers such as McNamee, who focus solely on conditioning and fitness rather than on medical issues.
        They have asked that they henceforth be referred to as “athletic trainers.”
        OK. Make that, assistant athletic trainer Teter.
       
        

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Hawkins,

Great to read your blog. I've probably been reading your Tiger coverage as long as you've been scribing your musings. I do remember reading as a young whelp, in the Freep when the man who could'va been "King of Detroit" instead of just a bum, dumped the water bucket on you.

There oughta be a journalistic purple heart for endearing the likes of such jerk jocks. At the very least, seems like you have gotten the last, and hence the best, laugh.

With some healthy arms and any luck on the field of play, you'll get to cover the first division championship Tigers team in over 20years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mantei will be the bullpen relief needed for the '08 Tigers.

I don't know if this is feasible, but I would love to hear you talking baseball some evening with the Book. Glad you are still covering baseball. Especially since you and Tom Gage had the coconuts to vote Maggs for MVP.

February 29, 2008 at 8:02 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home